Sunday, August 21, 2011

Coffee with C.S. Lewis

I haven't posted on this blog in forever. Not because I haven't had anything to say. I ALWAYS have something to say, much to my husband's dismay at times. However, it has just been a crazy busy summer. So crazy busy that my personal quiet time has taken a significant beating.

Oops! I just dispelled a myth. People who aren't pastors' wives think that we spend at least two hours a day praying and reading the Bible, in between doing good works, baking from scratch, making our own clothes, and just generally being holy. I regret to inform you, that at least for this PW, my house is a mess, we ate ice cream for supper (seriously!), and my Bible is covered in a film of dust...if I'm even sure where it is. I do chat with God periodically throughout the day, but of late it has been more surface chatter like I'd have with an acquaintance rather than a deep heart-to-heart with my Daddy. Time to change all of that and find my Jesus mojo again.

We've been cleaning out the basement and preparing for a garage sale. In doing so, my hubby had to go through hundreds of old ministry and theological books. He has finally released his grip on youth ministry books from the early 90s and pop culture Christian books a la Prayer of Jabez (although he never owned THAT book). However, among the good ones we are keeping are several good Bible study and devotional books that I put aside for myself to read. I'm starting with A Retreat with C.S. Lewis. It's a small book with a weeks' worth of daily readings by Mr. Lewis (for whom our youngest son is named) and related scripture. It's time to recreate the spiritual discipline of getting daily into Scripture with the added bonus of considering the illuminating ponderings of one of my favorite authors, who just so happens to be an incredible apologist.

Tomorrow morning you'll find me sipping coffee in my rocker chair and reading while chatting with Clive Staples Lewis as we enter the throne room. Looking forward to it!


1 comment:

  1. It's been that kind of a summer around here, too. Glad I'm not the only one.

    ReplyDelete